What is the Difference between ‘Natural’ and ‘Organic’ 

‘Natural’ is a word that implies that a product is made with ingredients found only in nature, it really should be regarded as a greenwashing term.

The word ‘Natural‘ in skincare is much over used. UK legislation permits brands to label skincare ‘Natural’ when it contains less than 1% of a ‘Natural’ ingredient.

Organic should mean ingredients from a naturally sourced farm grown without any man made or toxic chemicals.

Consumers believe ‘Natural’ and ‘Organic’ contain no toxic chemicals or artificial fragrance, however, due to the lack of regulation in the beauty industry, manufacturers can still label their products as ‘Natural’ or ‘Organic’ even if they contain processed, toxic and chemically enhanced ingredients.

Therefore, it is important to always look for a trusted Certified Organic logo to ensure you are purchasing a Certified Organic product you can trust.

 

The Pure Collection

 

Greenwashing

‘Nature Inspired’ and ‘From Nature’ are much hyped words and are “Greenwashing” which unfortunately is very common in marketing skincare.

Claiming a product is natural when containing a high percentage of synthetic ingredients makes shopping for green products problematic.

To help overcome this you really do need to check the labels and see how to read the tell tale signs of Greenwashing.

So, what to look for? In the first instance you will want to check for signs that your skincare is natural and/or organic.

Natural skincare are products containing ingredients that come from natural sources but not necessarily organically produced.

They may contain preservatives and chemicals, however, their main ingredients may be plant based and therefore marketed as ‘natural’. 

Organic skincare comprises products from naturally sourced ingredients produced without preservatives and man-made chemicals.

Another Greenwashing term “Wild Harvested“,may contain natural ingredients, however if not organically farmed they cannot be certified as organic.

 

 

pure

 

Certified Organic

Certified organic skincare products are those that have been certified as comprising of organic ingredients by regulatory bodies such as Ecocert, The Soil Association and the USDA who set a large number of strict production rules and regulations for organic certification.

A transparent skin care brand will always mention what percentages of its ingredients are “Organic”.

For example, on the label of our PhytoHeath Revitalising Serum you will find that product is 99% Certified Organic with the other 1% of ingredient deriving from the ocean so it is organic but not certified organic.